What is Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid?
The salt combination Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid is used for the treatment of Epilepsy, Alcohol Withdrawal, Mental Illness, Depression Disorders and other conditions.Detailed information related to Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid's uses, side-effects, reviews, questions, interactions, and precautions is as follows:
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid Uses
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
· Alcohol Withdrawal
· Mental Illness
· Depression Disorders
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid Working, Mechanism of Action and Pharmacology
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid improves the patient's condition by performing the following functions:
· Increasing the increased gamma-aminobutyric acid levels in brain.
· Suppressing repetitive neuronal firing through blockage of sodium channels.
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid - Side-effects
The following is a list of possible side effects that may occur in medicines that contain Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid. This is not a comprehensive list. These side effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side effects, especially if they do not go away.
· Nighttime Urinary Incontinence
· Decrease In Number Of White Blood Cells
· Disorder Which Affects Blood
· Inflammation Of The Pancreas
· Gastrointestinal Disorders
Sodium Valproate / Valproic Acid - Precautions & How to Use
Before using this drug, inform your doctor about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side effects of the drug. Take as directed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert. Dosage is based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Important counseling points are listed below.
· Be careful in patients with liver disease or urea cycle disorder or porphyria
· Do not take this medication if you are allergic to it
· Pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding
· Take your doctor's consultation if you have organic brain disease or severe seizure disorders, HIV or cytomegalovirus infection, renal impairment or systemic lupus erythematosus